Update: Replay recording!
At last, I’m done with replays! This feature has certainly taken more time and effort to complete than what I initially thought it would. For those curious, some form of per-room player ban is next on the list.
- Added a rec button, press it once to start recording, press it again to stop and save the recorded gameplay as a .hbr file!
- Added a “Replays” button to the room list, use this to load previously saved replays.
- Added a ping graph option, enabling it will display a graph of your ping history (Doesn’t show if you are the host).
- Added a new URL parameter which lets users link to replay files. Try it! Detailed explanation below.
Replay links explained (gets a bit technical):
A replay link has the following format:
"http://www.haxball.com/?replay=<Replay Version>#<Replay URL>”
<Replay Version> is currently 0, but this number will change every time a new version of HaxBall is released. HaxBall replay files (.hbr) have got this number stored in their first 4 bytes (as a big-endian unsigned integer), which should be useful if someone wanted to implement some sort of HaxBallReplay-Tube (wink wink ;).
<Replay URL> is the URL of the .hbr file to load.
There’s also a small catch, because of Flash security policies your file host needs have a crossdomain.xml policy file allowing haxball.com (and haxball.appspot.com) to read files from it.
Update: Optional frame rate!
- Brand new options menu which is accessible from the room list and during the game.
- Moved the mute sound button into the options menu.
- Made a frames per seconds limit option which it lets you choose between 30 and 60 FPS. Useful for those with slow computers which can’t run the game smoothly at 60 FPS.
- Made Flash hardware acceleration optional. This caused blank screens for a few people. A warning will appear during the login screen which will let people with blank screens disable it.
My apologies to those of you who were negatively affected by the previous update, this update should fix your problems :)
- Increased the display frame rate of the game to 60 FPS (was 30 before).
- Made the game logic speed independent of frame rate (slow computers unable to run at 60 FPS will be able to play just fine). This also fixes the lag caused by the host changing tabs in his browser (although the ping will go up a bit the game should remain playable).
- Changed a Flash setting (wmode=direct) which drastically improves the rendering performance (needed for smooth 60 FPS). Unfortunately on Windows this setting also reduces the quality of the text rendering, but the performance increase makes it worth it.
- Fine tuned the network code a bit, the game now uses less bandwidth and the latency should be slightly improved.
- Players with admin rights are now marked by a yellow nickname in the player list.
Note that the physics are completely unchanged (previous versions of haxball were running two steps of simulation per displayed frame).
Edit: It seems this update is causing problems for a few players, I tested it in many different systems before releasing it, but it seems it was not enough. I am now working on an update that will make this last changes optional. So to all of you having problems: remain calm, help is on the way!
HaxBall in Chrome Web Store
HaxBall is now available as a Google Chrome App, which means you can install it to your Chrome browser and launch HaxBall from a desktop shortcut as any other program for faster access.
If you’re a Google Chrome user please check the HaxBall Chrome App page to install it, and make sure to write a nice review ;)
- Implemented a player list which you can inspect even during a match in progress.
- Player kicking! Use it responsibly ;)
- Admins can now give/take admin powers to other players.
- Team selection menu is now prettier and easier to use.
To use the kicking or admin give/take features open the player list and click on the button that appears next to the players name.
Just released a small change on the HaxBall client
- Added a team reset button which lets the room admin quickly turn everyone into spectators.
- Modified “Auto” button, instead of filling the teams to max capacity it will pick a random pair of players per click.
- Fixed a bug which caused players to become stuck in the middle of the field after a goal was scored.
I’m working on implementing more admin tools (player kicking, promoting to admin, etc) but since it will take a while I decided to release these smaller changes now.
Have fun :)